Uniforms & Packing
The Student and Parent handbooks also include information about student clothing, room items, other necessities and "do not brings".
The overriding advice is to pack no more than the bare essentials. Space is limited, students will be returning home regularly, and most necessities can be easily found or replenished in Hangzhou.
Winter weather will be cold, but the first break in October generally happens well before weather has turned significantly cooler, so many cold weather items may be taken to Hangzhou after the October break.
Please click on the links for a full list of items available. Required Hangzhou CIS uniform items that differ from the Hong Kong uniform are:
Available from Aston Wilson (provider of the normal school and PE uniform):
- Hangzhou formal uniform (grey jacket; grey pants/skirt; red, yellow & white tie - these items may be available second-hand from prior year students),
- White PE shirt,
- Hangzhou uniform coat
Available from Kukri (provider of additional Phoenix mascot sports team items):
- Phoenix hoodie (if you will represent CIS in a winter sport),
- PE track items (if you will represent CIS in a winter sport).
- White dress shirt to go with formal uniform.
Other Must Brings
Please be reminded that students will be responsible for their own laundry, which they are encouraged to do approximately every week.
- Socks and undergarments (1-2 weeks),
- Indoor slippers and/or flip flops for both general dorm life (shoes are left at the door), as well as showers,
- Casual clothes (but do remember that you are in uniform 6 days a week, terms are short, and there is plenty of time to do laundry),
- One or two dress-up outfits for special events,
- Rain jacket and rain-appropriate footwear,
- Sport-specific clothing and equipment (e.g., swim suits and caps, studs/cleats, rackets, etc.),
- Warm coat/parka, hat, gloves, and other warm clothing (Hangzhou does get cold and occasional snow is possible. For the first term, only a small amount of cold weather clothing is advised, since it is not very cold until the second term. More winter clothing may be brought at term break, and taken back again in spring.),
- Appropriate hiking/camping clothing (athletic/outdoor clothing and comfortable walking/hiking shoes).
For Your Dorm
- Sheets & pillowcases (2 sets),
- Duvet covers (2),
- Towels (2-3),
- Toiletries (for the first week before the first weekend’s shopping),
- Alarm clock (stand-alone, not phone-based),
- Water bottle (1 liter) for school and off campus trips,
- Power adapters for China (note that sockets in dorms are multi-country-friendly, but may not be elsewhere).
Hangzhou CIS will provide students with lamps, duvets (summer and winter weight) and pillows (see full list elsewhere on this page).
Students should bring:
- Backpack (medium- to large-size) for school supplies and off-campus excursions, including overnights,
- School-specified laptop computer (see Preparing to Go),
- Calculator and batteries (as specified by the Math Department; see Preparing to Go),
- Some general school supplies (paper, pens and pencils, folders) for the first week before; additional items are easily purchased in Hangzhou,
Helpful but not necessary
Clothing & Personal Care
- A spare pair of glasses (even if you wear contact lenses all the time),
- Applicator-type tampons (depending on personal preference as non-applicator-type tampons are available),
- Hot water bottle,
- Mosquito repellant and after-bite/anti-itch cream,
- Sunglasses and/or a hat,
- Spare and/or old Hong Kong PE Kit (i.e., clothes that can get dirty),
- Miscellaneous personal care items (such as nail clippers, hair clips/pins/elastics, hair brush, etc., but remember that most daily items are easily purchased in Hangzhou).
For Your Dorm
- Something to hold your residential building access key card,
- Small wallet, zippered pouch, or other container to keep passports, huixiangzheng and HKID together when travelling to and from HZ (kept by staff in a safe),
- Leisure reading material (remember the library has a good selection of books and magazines),
- Earphones and/or small computer speakers,
- Other personal hobby items such as cards, games or musical instruments, etc. (Hangzhou CIS does have some such items).
Allowed but must be registered
While these items are allowed, they must be registered with your House Master upon arrival.
ALL personal electronic devices
Including but not limited to:
- iPods of any form (shuffle, standard, or iTouch),
- iPads, Android, or other tablets (Kindles or other e-readers),
- Gaming systems (e.g., PSP, Nintendo DS),
- Any other personal electronic entertainment device.
ALL prescription and over-the-counter medication
- This includes Traditional Chinese Medicines (TCM).
- CIS HZ provides full health services, so there should be no need to bring any medication that is not prescribed for you personally by your doctor.
- Students are allowed to bring their own over-the-counter medication (Panadol, Ibuprofen, etc.) for recurring conditions such as hay fever or period pain, but these must be registered and please remember that the nurse does have these as well.
- Regardless, ALL medication must be registered with ISOS and the Nurses in order to ensure that at all times (and especially in case of an emergency), the school has a complete record of any and all medications a student has taken or is currently taking.
What's in the Dorm Room?For each standard room for 4 students:
- 4 Beds
- 4 Bedside Tables
- 4 Full-Height Wardrobes with 8 Hangers each
- 4 Desks
- 4 Chairs
- 4 LED Lamps
- 1 Trash Bin (dorm room)
- 1 Air Conditioner
- 2 Hair Driers
- 4 Laundry Bags
- 4 Mattresses
- 4 Mattress Covers
- 4 Pillows
- 4 Winter Quilts/Duvets
- 4 Summer Quilts/Duvets
- 2 Shower Stalls
- 2 Toilet Stalls
- 2 Sinks
- 2 Trash Bins
What's in the Living Room?
For each suite of 3 rooms (i.e., 12 students):
- 1 Clock
- 2 Sofas
- 1 Coffee Table
- 1 TV & TV Cabinet
- 1 Meeting/Dining Table
- 5 Chairs
- 12 Plates, Bowls, Coffee Cups, Water Cups, Chopstick-Knife-Fork Sets
- 1 Refrigerator
- 1 Water Dispenser
- 1 Air Conditioner
- 1 Dehumidifier
- 1 Dish Rack
- 1 Can Opener
Seriously, do NOT bring these items!
- TOO MANY CLOTHES and SHOES! If you’re not sure if you will wear it, DO NOT bring it.
- Clothing that is inappropriate for a school environment. Use your best judgement, but if you are unsure, you probably should NOT bring it.
- Extra throw pillows or other large items to decorate your personal space. You’ll need that space to work and sleep!
- Extra textbooks that aren’t specifically necessary for your classes
- Desktop computer or gaming peripherals
- Food or snacks. The cafeteria provides ample offerings, and you can buy any additional snacks here!
- Any knives, small weapons, lighters, or other dangerous objects. Anything that the staff decides is dangerous to others WILL be confiscated. Again, use your best judgement, but if you are unsure, you probably should NOT bring it.
HZ CIS on Moongate Access to Dorm Lists, Directories, etc. for enrolled families.